Thursday, November 3, 2011

Get Healthy Hair

Healthy hair is something all girls yearn for. When we damage our hair, it can be hard to go from drab to fab.....

BUT, with these tips, you can get your healthy strands back sooner. I had become a heat tool fanatic. For almost two years I used heat styling everyday to fix my hair, and let me tell you, the outcome was no longer pretty! I had split ends that went all the way up to my roots, my hair broke off, and it wasn't shiny or bouncy anymore- it was dry, frizzy, and unfixable. It looked like a total wreck.

I decided I had to stop doing anything to it at all (which for me, is unheard of). There was a time where I wouldn't step one foot out the door without having my hair completely fixed or without make up on. Being in college- I had to lower my standards a little.

1. LAY OFF THE HEAT TOOLS!! This is only making your hair worse. While it may seem to help it and manage it during the day, by night you've ruined it even more and lessened the chances of an easy recovery. This includes hair blow dryers, hair straighteners, curling irons, etc. Whatever your natural hair texture is- rock it! When all else fails, there are headbands (which I ended up using 6 out of 7 days of the week), hats, ponytails, and head scarves. Have fun with your natural texture, and learn new ways to style your hair. You may be surprised and end up liking your natural hair more than your heat styled 'do.

2. LAY OFF THE PRODUCT. This, like heat, is only creating more problems. Product to fix your natural hair is great, but using product you don't really need just causes more damage. Have curly or wavy hair? Use a mousse or texturizing spray & scrunch. If it's a rainy day or very humid, use a LITTLE bit of hairspray- don't over do it... it's not prom. Naturally straight hair? Try some texturizing spray. Hairspray isn't really necessary for your entire head (for any type of hair!). Use an extra toothbrush or small toothed comb and spray it with hairspray, then run it through your roots to tame fly aways. For each hair type google ways to fix your hair with the least amount of product possible (seventeen magazine always has different style tips). This will give your hair room to breathe and strengthen itself.

3. SKIP WASHING DAILY. Take a day of the weekend off. Washing your hair everyday can strip it of natural oils, which are good for your hair. This makes it dull and lifeless. Try a dry shampoo on those days and wear a cute hat or pull it up on a sleek bun.

4. HOT OIL TREATMENT!! This works wonders on hair. Use a hot oil treatment (Like V05's) once a week for about a month or two depending on how damaged your hair is. This will help put natural oils back into it & make it stronger, bouncy and shiny again.

While this is a short list (because I'm totally running out of time to turn a test in!!!!), it is a basic guideline that will help you get your hair back to normal (or even better!). When I have time, I'll post a full guide, including some products/brands to try. As a last tip: once you've regained your bouncy, shiny, healthy and totally gorgeous locks again, don't go back to daily heat styling- it will only make you return to hair therapy. Instead, try using heat styling tools (yes, including the hairdryer) only once or twice a week... and  be sure to use a heat protectant each time!


shiny hair



Good luck!

Jessica ♥(:

No comments:

Post a Comment