Tuesday, September 21, 2010

College Starts Working Before I've Even Gone...

Well, it's been a few days since my last post... and that would be because of my crazy schedule. However, today I stayed home sick... ugh! I've been sick off & on for the past 3 months, and my doctor says it's a cold... yeah right, where did she go to doc. school at?? Anyways, I went and got all my college books yesterday, and by all I mean all the ones I think I need (since two of my classes are STILL not available on blackboard, and classes start tomorrow....). My first assignment is in English 101. English is by far not my favorite subject. I don't like following rules and grammar and punctuation all the time. But, with my first class next Tuesday and knowing how often I procrastinate, I decided to get started today. I have to read the first 3 chapters of my book, and although I was dreading it, it wasn't all that bad. In fact, I came across something that is so true, and probably important for everyone to at least think about.

Roy Hoffman wrote an essay On Keeping a Journal. At the end of this essay, he states something that, to me, seems important to remember for some reason (I haven't figured out that reason yet, but I'm sure that I'm going to find out really soon what it is...) :

"Keeping notebooks and journals is rather like burying time capsules into one's own life. There's no telling what old rock song, love note, philosophical complaint or rosy Saturday morning you'll unearth when you dig up these personal time capsules. You'll be able to piece together a remarkable picture of where you've come from, and may well get some important glimmers about where you're going."

Kind of sounds.... enlightening. I like the idea of our past (in the form of some kind of journal, being a blog, diary, etc.) being a personal time capsule. In just a matter of seconds, the happiest time can be "dug" up and lived again. Even if your journals aren't always happy, seeing them & looking at your more recent ones can be settling and can even make you content. You're past will come back, not to haunt you, but for you to see how far you've come, what you've achieved, goals and dreams you may have forgotten about & are now eager to reach for again, and most importantly where you came from & who you are. Hopefully all of us, no matter how hurtful or sad our past is, will look at our dug up time capsule's and say 'wow, I came a far way', and be proud of ourselves.... and then bury it again for a later time.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! You have an award waiting for you on my site. Please stop by to pick it up!

    Ruthie Joyce

    www.mysocalledhomeschoollife.com

    ReplyDelete